The re-ordering of 1989
- 1989
In 1989 there was a major internal re-ordering of the Church. The origins go back to the second decade of the century when Mrs. Rainey, the patron, sold the Advowson to the evangelical Church Association, who were the predecessors of the present patrons, The Church Society Trust. In doing so the incumbent – and consequently the parish – changed from ‘High’ to ‘Low’ church, and the new Rectors, from H. E. Boultbee onwards, were anxious to remove the chancel screen which Canon Feilden erected in 1898 – as this recalled the High Church theology of the Oxford Movement and was out of tune with the evangelicalism which had replaced it.
A resolution to move the screen was passed at a meeting of the Parochial Church Council in 1982, and, though there was no legal necessity, it was agreed that a Faculty would only be applied for with the approval of the congregation. A majority of two-thirds was called for, but this target was not reached at the A.P.C.M. in 1983, though over half those present voted in favour.
The Council then decided that the removal of the screen should be part of a wider re-ordering of the interior, and a report was commissioned from the Rev. Professor J. G. Davies, Professor of Architecture and Theology at Birmingham University. His most radical proposal was to turn the Church interior round 180o so that worship would have been in a westerly direction. The report was presented to the A.P.C.M. in 1987 and members of the congregation were invited to submit proposals of their own. Many were received, and plans were afterwards drawn up by Niall Patterson Associates.
The scheme won support from many in the congregation and the full cost of the proposed work (£146,000) was raised by voluntary contributions, but it was also opposed by other parishioners, and seventy-two objections were lodged against the granting of a Faculty.
A Consistory Court, lasting three days, was held in the Church Hall before Chancellor H. H. Lomas in October 1988 and eloquent arguments were put forward by both sides. J.L.O. Holden, a collateral descendent of the Very Rev. John Nutter, Rector of Bebington (1581-1602), acted as Counsel for the petitioners, and the entire proceedings were recorded on seventeen tapes (which are kept in the Vestry safe).

The majority of the changes for which the application was made were approved by the Chancellor. These included the carpeting of the aisles, angling the side pews to improve visibility, replacing the inner porch doors with glass doors, the removal of the chancel screen to the side of the vestry (where it forms a passage to the small door in the north-east corner), the removal of the choir stalls (which were given to St James, New Brighton), and the construction of a dais to create a ministry area in the Chancel. It was also agreed that the font at the west end could be re-sited, and that a staircase and upper room could be constructed in the tower, with a kitchen and lavatory below. However, the proposed alterations to the Feilden Chapel and the removal of the pulpit to the south wall were not authorised.
A new heating and lighting system was installed at this time, and the hatchments which had formerly hung in the tower were cleaned and rehung in their present position on the north and south walls of the nave.
During the re-ordering the Church was closed and services were held in the Gladstone Theatre in Port Sunlight. It was re-opened on 25 June 1989, by the Rt Rev. M.A. Baughen, Bishop of Chester.
